Friday, October 10, 2008

My First Day

For a while I've been toying with the idea of creating my own blog. I'm a software engineer, and surprisingly often I will encounter something that I'd like to share. So yesterday I gave in and signed up for a Blogger account. I was reading someone else's blog (can't remember whose now) and saw the sign-up link and just decided to go for it.

After getting through the tedious procedure of choosing a name for my account (my top choices were all taken by inactive blogs with "First Post!" entries from over a year ago), I finally had my own place to post insights/rants about whatever I felt like.

I didn't have anything to say.

I'm sure everybody has the same problem; you get all pumped up to do something creative, and... Nothing comes to mind. So I figured I'd just leave it alone and come back in a day or two with something.

Then this morning I checked my email to find out that Blogger had disabled my account. One fucking day into owning my own blog and they DISABLED MY ACCOUNT. Why? Was it because I didn't have anything to say?

No. It was because my shiny new blog looked like a spam blog to their moronic spiders. What is a spam blog? According to this page it is a blog with nonsensical text linking elsewhere. I assume the goal is to confuse search engines, which rank pages by how many links point to them.

What I'm confused about is how my empty blog looked like I was link-spamming!

Anyway, I went through their page to request an unlock review today (October 10, 2008) and we'll see if they can unlock things as quickly as they lock them. My guess is no.

Edit: October 13, 2008, I am no longer under suspicion of being a spam blog.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Ahh, young grasshopper, you have so much to learn about the asshattery of blogging websites.