Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Composting

Now that I'm finally coming up with topics other than politics, it's time to get back into posting. So let's talk about composting! Get it?

Hey NYC, you know those brown bins that say "Food Scraps & Yard Waste" on them? It turns out (Gothamist) most people have no idea what to do with them! I'm sure you're not one of those people, but in case you aren't positive you're using it right, here's what goes into the bin:

  • Anything you could've eaten, but didn't -- stale/moldy bread, fruits/vegetables that went bad, leftovers from meals you can't remember, etc.
  • Anything that was part of food -- apple cores, orange peels, avocado pits, bones, eggshells, shrimp tails, etc.
  • Paper products that can't be recycled -- paper towels, waxed paper, oily pizza boxes (but you can recycle the top half), messed-up takeout delivery bags, etc.
  • Miscellaneous food-related stuff -- single-use chopsticks, wooden skewers, old fry oil, the paper that butter comes wrapped in, etc.
  • Yard waste -- Not that we really have yards here, but leaves, twigs, grass, etc. can go in there if you've got them.
Basically, if it died, it can be composted.

Want to know what doesn't go into the bin? Scroll down that Gothamist article I linked above, but essentially: Everything else, and that includes plastic bags!

But doesn't it stink? What, the bin outside? That's why it has a latching lid! Just hold your breath when you dump stuff in.

Or did you mean the pail? Mine doesn't, and here's how I keep it that way:

Firstly, I try to empty it at least once a week. After emptying, I rinse it out in the sink. I wash it with soap and water about once a month.

Secondly, I dust a little baking soda (did you know you can buy it by the bucket?) and lay a single sheet of paper towel on the bottom (I like Bounty select-a-size, they're almost a perfect fit). That keeps anything from sticking, and also prevents the pail from absorbing nasty odors.

And finally, I try to leave it open as much as possible, so it doesn't stay damp and start growing mold or rotting (that's what really stinks).

The only trouble is I leave my pail on the floor, and my dog thinks it's her personal snack box. As soon as something she'd like goes in there I close it, but I don't latch it; she can't get in, and that little bit of air keeps it from smelling.

Happy composting, and bring those plastic bags to the supermarket for recycling!

Note: As an Amazon associate, I may earn a commission from purchases made through links followed from this page.

No comments: