Friday, September 21, 2018

New Laptop Shopping

I'm in the market for a new laptop, so I figured I'd document the process. Kinda like my Choosing a Computer Monitor post, but not quite so post-facto.

Currently I have a ~6½ year old MSI gaming laptop (this one, specifically). When I first set it up, I could run every game I had at top-notch settings. Now, it can barely run Fallout 4 at the lowest settings, and GTA 4 is unplayable.

So I need (well... I want) a new laptop. Unfortunately, I can't find what I'm looking for, not in my target price range. There are two reasons, I think. Firstly, I'm frustrated with how screen resolution has stagnated for a decade, and secondly, the laptop market is being squeezed by smartphones and Chromebooks on the low end, and gaming consoles on high end.

This post is both an organization of my thoughts, and a general rant about the state of the laptop market. And, I suppose, this might even help someone know what to look for, like that post about computer monitors.

These are my primary minimum requirements:
  • Screen: ~15.5" QHD
  • RAM: 16g included, 32g supported
  • CPU: Intel eighth-generation i7
  • GPU: NVidia 1070
  • Storage: 1t of any flavor, 240g SSD
  • Ports: HDMI + one of DisplayPort, Mini-DP, or USB-C video out; 2x USB-A 3.x, gigabit Ethernet
  • WiFi: 802.11ac
  • Misc: No NVidia Max-Q, not made by Hewlett Packard
  • Price: $2,000
Secondary features I'd like:
  • USB-C charging
  • Multi-touch track pad (one-finger cursor, two-finger scroll, three-finger middle mouse)
  • Good keyboard layout
  • High contrast ratio
  • Low weight
Stuff I don't care about:
  • Battery life
  • Audio quality
  • Bluetooth
  • Operating system
  • Optical drive
  • Keyboard backlight
On screen resolution: Do you remember when every year or so, monitor resolutions jumped up a notch? 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x960, ... Why did this stop? My favorite monitor, which died a few years ago, was an LG 1920x1280. Since then everything has been FHD (1920x1080), unless you wanted to splurge on QHD or 4k. It's time for FHD to die in favor of something better.

On NVidia Max-Q: My cynical view is that Max-Q is a marketing designation that means the laptop is too thin to dissipate the heat put off by an over-powered video card.

On Hewlett-Packard: My wife has had two HP laptops, and both were awful at heat management. The current one requires an ice pack just to remain on, running TurboTax. They aren't worth the gamble for me.

On USB-C charging: I love that my Chromebook and my Pixel phone can use the same charger, and I wish everything else could share as well.

On a multi-touch trackpad: The MSI laptop I have now tried a hot-corner-scrolling trackpad. It's awful. I need to tap in just the right spot on or near the corner of the trackpad to scroll, and I need to hold my finger there as long as I want it to scroll. Chromebooks have this figured out, and I think Macs have too (although theirs is upside-down).

On a good keyboard layout: Use something close to a standard layout. If you're going to relegate keys to Fn-activation, don't make me reach for them; put them as close to the home row as possible.

On battery life: The only time my laptop is both on and unplugged is when I am moving it between my desk and the couch.

On the operating system: Gaming laptops always come with Windows, and the flavor doesn't matter: It's just there as a launchpad for games, and it's literally good for nothing else (kinda sucks as a launchpad, too). I use Ubuntu for everything.

On backlit keyboards: How did these become popular? Does anybody actually care? I imagine what happened is one seller added it to an already-great machine, and everybody else thought, "I'll add that so my crappy laptop will sell too!" So now it's not even an option not to have a backlit keyboard. It's really just an obnoxious distraction.

I'm planning to post my notes on the laptops I'm considering in the upcoming days, with the reasons I like and dislike them.

Edit: Followup posts to this introduction:

No comments: