Saturday, September 22, 2018

Laptop Shopping: MSI GT63 Titan 047

This is a followup to my New Laptop Shopping post.

Although the MSI GT63 Titan-047 (wow, that's a mouthful of a model designation) is not on the CNet list, I found it by narrowing down the options on MSI's site. I specifically chose the GT series (I have no idea what GT means in comparison to GS, GE, GP, GL, wtf how many of these do they have?), but my current laptop is a GT and I like it. So I figured I'd try to get something similar.

The Titan, for short, has many of the features I want. Here's a rundown:

  • 15.6 inch FHD 120Hz display
  • 8th gen i7 CPU
  • 16g RAM, support for 64g
  • NVidia 1070 GPU (with no mention of Max-Q!)
  • 1t HDD + 256g SSD
  • 3x USB-A 3.1, 1x USB-C 3.1, 1x USB-A 2.0
  • HDMI (supporting 4k at 60Hz), and a mini-DisplayPort
  • "Multi touch" trackpad (no details)
  • Price: $2200 at Newegg, $2100 at Amazon
So it's a little above my target price range, and the display resolution isn't as high as I want... But it has everything else. And it's an MSI, and I know from my current GT683 they know how to deal with heat.

I'm starting to think that I'll end up with an FHD screen no matter what...

This laptop is in the running. Now looking at this and the Alienware 15.

Note: As an Amazon associate, I may earn a commission from purchases made through links followed from this page.

No comments: