Sunday, September 23, 2018

Laptop Shopping: Top Gaming Laptops of 2018

This is a followup to my New Laptop Shopping post.

Today I'm going to look at three lists of the top gaming laptops of 2018, hoping to pick out some models worth further research.

CNet
Let's start with CNet's Best Gaming Laptops for 2018, since I already mentioned it in my post researching the Razer Blade 15. I'm not going to list the full models (copyright and all that; go read through the list!), just the brand names (and when one appears multiple times on the same list, whether it's the first, second, etc. appearance):

Eliminated due to Max-Q: The Razer (first), MSI, Asus, Digital Storm, and Dell models.

Eliminated due to CPU model: The Acer, Lenovo, and Razer (second) models.

Eliminated due to being made by HP: The HP model.

Interesting... That was all of them.

TechRadar
Turns out CNet isn't the only publication with a Best Laptops list, so let's check out the one from TechRadar!

Eliminated due to being on the CNet list: The MSI and Razer models.

Eliminated due to screen size (I want 15-inch): The Asus (second) and Alienware (first and second) models.

Eliminated due to using an old-model CPU: The Asus (first and third), Acer, and Gigabyte models.

Eliminated due to using a Radeon card: The Dell model.

Okay, so that was their entire list too...

PC Gamer
Maybe the list from PC Gamer will be more fruitful?

Eliminated to being on the CNet and TechRadar lists: The MSI and Razer models (makes me wonder if they're worth another look, though...)

Eliminated due to using an old-model CPU: The Asus, Acer (first and second), and Dell models.

Eliminated due to screen size (I want 15-inch): The MSI model. But I notice this is a Titan, and probably helped lead me towards the GT63 Titan I looked at the other day.

Eliminated due to Max-Q: The Gigabyte model.

I guess that's everything. Either I'm being to picky, or the Top Laptops lists just suck. I will take a closer look at the MSI GS65 since it was on all three lists. The Razer Blade 15 is still out because I couldn't get it with an NVidia 1070 at a reasonable price, and it's branded Max-Q.

No comments: